Sipxmach Stamping offers custom precision metal progressive stampings for all Kinds of industries.
Our long and stable cooperated tooling factory will according your drawing to design and manufacture a progressive die to meets your exact specifications.
Our expertise will keep update with you during at the beginning of the project.
Our project manager will ensure the progressive metal stamping part tooling 100% meet your requirements with the highest quality standards.
Progressive stamping is ideal manufacturer method for high volume sheet metal forming runs.
Progressive stamping Using continuouswork stations in the same die, parts don’t require transfer to multiple stamping presses, reducing handling, processing time and costs. Generally speakingthe progressive die stamping tooling more expensive than common punching or blanking die.
Continuous stamping as a metal forming process widely used to produce parts for various deep drawing, electrical stamping production and automobile industries.
The work stations on progressive die stamping tooling are individual, each of which forming one or more different operations on the product.
The auto transfer system of continuous die stamping transfer the sheet metal strip from station to station, and cut out of the strip in the final operation.
These factors will affect the quality of progressive stamping
A sheet steel strip is formed into a finished part in the same progressive stamping die.
These factors will affect your decision to choose progressive die(transfer die) or other stamping die to manufacturing your parts:
- Size: The size can not too big, because the work station size limit how many steps can put on the progressive stamping die.
It is means too big part only should choose common stamping tooling.
- Volume of quantity: Progressive die stamping should have big quantity, otherwise tooling cost too expensive.
- Complexity of the part: It is not every sheet metal stamping partswith big quantity is suit with progressive stamping, Sipxmach expertise will give you our best suggestion.
How to save money of progressive tooling?
- It is reduce cost for big quantity sheet metal forming parts.
Due to the complexity of progressive dies, it is important to address all the factors that contribute to achieving the desired level of part quality, including blank position, pilots, blank boundary and stretch-web deformation.
- And the pilot is the easiest to cause quality problem during batch production.
But pilots is also important for progressive stamping products – they assure the strip into an appropriate location during the press process.
- In addition, they are essential for metal sheet at the right positing during tooling closing and punching operations in dies. We also should consider factors of timing and interaction of carries, pads, tooling tolerances and so on.
Sipxmach Progressive Die Stamping Services
Our Stamping’s progressive stamping services include:
- Custom progressive dies designed and manufactured by Sipxmach Stamping’s tool and die cooperated manufacturer. Our expertise will work with you to design the best quality progressive stamping die and tooling to assure dimensions of the metal stamping part.
- Complete stamping services, including deep drawing, blanking and punching, bending, hot forming, deburrs, polishing and shot blasting.
- Stainless steel stamping, sheet brass, sheet aluminum stamping, sheet metal, all kinds of metal material is adaptable for progressive stamping. All our materials are traceable, with material certification.
We are happy to provide you with precision progressive stamping parts for your high quantities products.
For more information, contact our stamping parts R&D department.
Understand a progressive die stamping process should find the difference between compound die stamping and progressive stamping? Compound stamping and progressive stamping are manufacturing a part with one stroke
For short-run stampings we use compound die instead of progressive stamping to save tooling cost
- Compound die only can combine two steps of stamping processes.
- Progressive die combine one pair of molds includes: punching, blanking, trimming, deep drawing, Coining and so on.
- Generally, progressive stamping die much bigger than compound die.
- Progressive die along with automatic feeding system, and the punch feeder forward the sheet metal according to fixed step, Progressive process also called continuous die stamping.
Main benefits of progressive stamping.
- Progressive die stamping cost-efficiency, most times progressive stamping adopt high-speed stamping machine, except for auxiliary process of inspection and polishing, all other steps automatically finished on one machine with one stroke.
- More safety.
The continuous die stamping has so many advantages, but it is not to say all parts can do by this method.
PROGRESSIVE STAMPING Compare with SHORT-RUN STAMPING
For engineers, developers and customers, progressive or long-run stamping is often the first metal stamping method that comes to mind, but it is not the only – or even the finest – solution for any metal forming implementation.
Progressive stamping generates a finished portion (along with a scrap strip) after a sequence of hits through a single press using material coils fed into a punch-press.
This may be an outstanding, low-piece-price technique of producing metal parts, but the quantities needed must justify the tooling price. Typically, tooling expenses are in the tens of thousands of dollars, making the original investment in tooling a significant choice.
On the other side, Short-Run Stamping utilizes a mixture of “stock” instruments, custom-made tooling components and die inserts to produce parts via various one-hit stations.
A blank, the general flat portion, is developed first in short-run stamping. Then in a second procedure, any interior holes or slots are added. In a forming operation or various forming activities, any bends or three-dimensional characteristics are added. Next in another job center, any drilling or tapping activities are added. Finally, according to customer requirements, the components can be plated, painted or covered.
Here are a few other distinctions between gradual stamping and short-run stamping to assist define the best method for your implementation.
Initial Costs: Short-run stamping needs a one-time engineering fee that usually ranges from $75 to $2,000 (depending on the complexity of the design). The average NRE fee of $863 is much smaller than the purchase price of five-digit tooling intrinsic in graduated stamping.
Tooling Maintenance and Revision Costs: Because the client owns the tooling for progressive stamping projects, it can be cost-prohibitive to maintain, repair or update instruments to suit updated part geometries over a part’s lifetime. These concealed or unplanned fees and charges are non-existent with short-run stamping as the part is produced using parts created as part of the Non-recurring Engineering fee.
Lead Times: Short-run stamping lead times are typically four to six weeks, far shorter than the gradual stamping times.
Overall Project Costs: While prices for short-run stamping pieces are usually greater than prices for progressive stamping, the reduced original costs often push the choice back towards short-run stamping
For example, assume that a progressive stamping project involves a $50,000 tooling charge plus a 5-cent piece price, while a $863 NRE charge plus a 50-cent piece price is required for the same product produced using short-run stamping. Progressive stamping in this scenario could be cost-effective for an annual run of 10 million parts but not so attractive for running 10,000 pieces. The important thing is to do the math–calculate all your costs and then get in touch with a manufacturer you can trust to hammer out the details.
Your sheet metal products conform to following conditions, your parts choose progressive stamping is the best choice
- Big quantity, most times only the quantity exceed 300000pcs, then can consider progressive die automatic system.
- Part dimension should small, because punching, blanking, trimming, deep drawing, Coining will be finished in same press machine.
- Material thickness 0.08mm to 2.5mm.
- Complex part structure.
- Dimension tolerance should lower than IT10.
Analysis of common problems with progressive metal stamping
In the progressive die stamping production, specific analysis must be done for the problem of poor stamping. in order to reduce production costs and achieve smooth production, we should take Effective measures to solve the stamping problem. The following is a common analysis of the bad progressive stamping in production. The causes and countermeasures are as follows for the mold maintenance personnel.
1. Punching rough edge of the metal progressive metal stamping part
- A, the knife edge wears;
- B, the gap is too large, the effect is not obvious after the knife edge is repaired;
- C, the knife edge collapse angle;
- D, the gap is unreasonable, the upper and lower offset or loose;
- E, up and down dislocation.
- A, grinding the knife edge;
- B, controlling the convex or concave progressive die machining accuracy or modifying the design clearance;
- C, grinding the blade;
- D, adjusting the punching clearance to confirm the template hole wear or the processing accuracy of the molded part;
- E, replacement guide Pieces or re-formed.
2. Scrapping and crushing of progressive metal stamping part
- A, the gap is too large;
- B, improper feeding;
- C, the stamping oil drop too fast, the oil is sticky;
- D, the mold is not demagnetized;
- E, the punch is worn, and the scrap is pressed onto the punch;
- F, The punch is too short, the length of the inserted die is insufficient;
- A. Control the accuracy of the convex and concave molds or modify the design gap;
- B. Trim the strip and clean the mold in time;
- C. Control the amount of lubricant oil, or change the oil with lower viscosity;
- D. Demagnetize the mold after repaired
- E. polishing the convex die edge;
- F. adjusting the length of the convex die;
- G. replacing the material, modifying the design. Reduce the bonding area between the end surface of the punching edge and the chip;
- H. reduce the sharpness of the progressive metal stamping die, reduce the grinding amount of the metal progressive die edge, increase the roughness of the surface of the straight edge of the die. and suck with a vacuum cleaner scrap. Reduce the speed of the punching
3. Iron filings block the progressive metal stamping die
- A, the drop scrap material hole too small;
- B, the drop scrap material hole is too large, the material is tumbling;
- C, the knife edge is worn result burrs too big;
- D, the stamping oil drop too fast, or the oil is sticky
- E, the surface of the straight edge of the progressive metal stamping die become rough, the powder chips sintered together with the blade
- F, the material too soft
- A, modify the material drop hole;
- B, Repair the knife blade;
- C, control the amount of oil or replace it
- D, polishing the surface of the progressive metal stamping die, decrease the surface roughness of the tooling
- E, Change punching and blanking clearance;
- F, use a vacuum cleaner blow under the blanking pad.
4. Blanking deviation and result progressive metal stamping parts dimension deviation
- A, Convex and concave die edge wears, causing burrs (larger shape, smaller inner hole);
- B, improper design size and clearance, poor machining accuracy;
- C, Convex and concave insert offset, uneven gap;
- D, Guide pin wear, unreasonable Pin diameter;
- E, Direction Guide parts wear;
- F, Feeder feed distance, press material, loose adjustment improper;
- G, Progressive metal die close height is improper;
- H. The material of the stripping block is worn and the material is not pressed.
- I, Discharge insert is too strong and result the punching hole bigger than requirment
- J, The stamping material elongation unstable
- K, when punching and blanking, the punching force pulls the material, causing dimensional variation.
- A, grinding the cutting edge;
- B, modifying the design, controlling the machining accuracy;
- C, adjusting position accuracy and punching gap;
- D, replacing the guiding pin;
- E, replacing the guide column, guide bushing;
- F, re-adjusting Feeder;
- G, readjust the progressive metal stamping mold height;
- H, grind or replace the strip, adjust the pressure;
- I, replace the material, control the feed quality;
5. Material jammed in the progressive metal stamping
- A, feeder feeding distance, pressure adjustment improperly;
- B, variation in the delivery distance during production;
- C, feeder failure;
- D, material arc, width is too wide, large margin;
- E. Unreasonable diameter progressive stamping die, causing the rocker
- F, insufficient diameter of the guide material, upper die pull the material;
- G. Material thickness too thin, it is warpped during transfer.
- H. mold assemble is not appropriate, and the verticality with the feeder is not meet requirement
- A, re-adjustment;
- B, Change materials, control feed quality;
- C, elimination the rocker of material belt.
- D, adjust the strength of spring, etc.;
- E, add the upper and lower pressing plate between the feeder and the mold, add the upper and lower extrusion safety switch;
- J, re-assemble tooling.
6. Stamping tape with rocker in progressive metal stamping
- A, punching and blanking burrs;
- B, Material burrs, mold without trimming;
- C, Improper punching depth (too deep or too shallow);
- D, stamping scratch on the surface of progressive stamping part, swarf in the progressive die;
- E, local pressure material is too deep or partial pressure to the part; F, mold design.
- A. Repair the cutting edge;
- B. Replace the material, add trimming device to the mold;
- C. re-adjust the depth of the punch;
- D. clean the mold to solve the problem of chipping and crushing;
- E. check and adjust height of the stripping and die inserts, repair the damage of the progressive die;
- F. Use bending mechanism to adjust the material tape rocker
7. Convex Metal progressive die fracture during production
- A, chipping, chip blocking, jamming, etc.
- B, improper feeding, cutting half material.
- C, convex mold strength is insufficient.
- D, Big and small convex molds are too close, material drawing during punching and result small convex die breaks;
- E, convex and concave molds are too sharp corners;
- F, blanking clearance is small;
- G, no stamping oil or used stamping oil volatile too fast;
- H, punching gap is uneven, partial Displacement, convex and concave mold interference;
- I, poor precision or wear of the insert, loss of precision guiding function;
- J, mold guidance is not good;
- K, convex, concave mold material is improperly selected, hardness is not good;
- L, guide Material (pin) wear; gasket is improperly installed.
- A. Resolve problems such as chipping, chip blocking, and card mold;
- B. Pay attention to feeding, trim the tape in time, and clean the mold in time;
- C. Modify the design, increase the overall strength of the punch, and shorten the progressive die blade. Straight blade size, pay attention to the edge of the convex blade with slope or arc.
- D. the small punch length is shorter than the larger punch is more than one material thickness.
- E. modify the design.
- F. control the convex and concave Mold processing accuracy or modify the design gap, increase the punching gap appropriately.
- G. adjust the amount of stamping oil drip or replace the oil.
- H. check the accuracy of each forming part, and apply adjustment or replacement to control the machining accuracy.
- I. Repair or replacement;
- J. Replace the guide post, guide sleeve, pay attention to daily maintenance;
- K. Replace the use of materials, use the appropriate hardness;
- L. Replace the guide parts;
- M. Correction, the number of gaskets can be less, and use steel pads
8. Bending deformation, size variation for the “progressive metal stamping” parts
- A, the leading pin is worn, the pin diameter is insufficient;
- B, the bending guide part is poor and wear;
- C, the bending convex and the concave die wear (pressure loss);
- D, the mold yield is insufficient;
- E, material slip, bending convex, concave mold without guiding function, no preloading when bending;
- F, mold structure and design size poor;
- G, punching edge, causing poor bending;
- H, bending There are too many washers in the convex and concave molds of the metal parts, which cause dimensional instability.
- I. Material thickness and size variation, material mechanical performance variation.
- A, replace the guide pin;
- B, re-grind or replace;
- C, check, correction.
- D, modify the design, add guide and pre-press function.
- E, modify the design and size , Decompose the bend, sizing the bending dimensions etc.
- F, repair the cutting edge of Blade.
- H, adjust, use the integral steel pad, replace the material, control the feed quality.
9. There is no proper maintenance with the progressive metal stamping tooling
- A. There is no foolproof function in the mold. If the mold is inadvertently, the reverse direction and misalignment (refer to different stations) are caused.
- B. The insert that has been offset by the gap is not restored as it is.
- A. Modify the mold, increase the anti-stay function;
- B. Make a mark on the mold, and make necessary inspections and confirmations after the mold is set, and make a written record for inquiries.
In the progressive metal stamping production, the daily maintenance work of the mold is very important, that is, daily check to check whether the press and the mold are in a normal state, such as the fuel supply guide portion of the fueling. The inspection before the machine on the mold, the inspection of the blade, the confirmation of the locking of each part, etc., can avoid many sudden accidents. When you are repairing a mold, you must first think about it and do it carefully.